Thursday, December 18, 2008

Two in a Row

Wow, a second blog entry! I must be on top of things (or *cough*avoidingworking*cough*).

Our hot water heater is fixed! Last night, Will heated up water on the stove for everyone to take a bath. Now I realize why the pioneers only took one bath a week - holy moly, that's a long process! Mom, didn't you not have hot water for a lot of growing up? I thought I recalled simliar stories for how you had to take a bath in the kitchen. Or am I completely mixed up? *Anyway*, having fully functioning hot water from the tap is one of the great inventions of our day.

It's hard to believe that Christmas is a week away. Annika's primarily wants a "stuffed animal shark" and a "stuffed animal Donald Duck from Fantasia 2000" - thank you, Ebay! Daniel wants to pull things off the table, and oh, to be carried non-stop would be nice. And Audrey the Cat? A lifetime supply of chicken, a couple of lizards to chase down and kill, and a house with no annoying babies that pull her hair are top priority.

Three cheers for indoor plumbing and Christmas dreaming!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We heated water for our weekly baths with a big tea kettle!! We all used the same water in the winter time!! The wash tub was put next to the coal stove in the living room!! We didn't get running water, hot & cold until I turned 17 in 1960!! We did a lot of daily wash cloth bathing out of what we called a wash pan. I'm not sure about "the good old days"!

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad that you now have a water heater. I do recall the weekly bath with maybe two inches of water, and several taking turns with the same water. Sometimes we heated our water on the stove in a tea kettle for baths. For a week I remember no water at all except what was brought it from neighbor relatives, but normally we had a small amount of water.

Bekah said...

Heck, even I had to do growing up when the basement would flood and put out the hot water heater. Mom would turn on the oven, open the door, and put a big washtub in front of the oven to keep us warm. It was great fun at the time, but I sure wouldn't like it now.

I like Daniel's Christmas wish list the best.

Anonymous said...

Yay, I'm glad your water heater is fixed! That must have been a huge pain.